Millions of people around the world enjoy vaping on a daily basis, and that trend has garnered more and more media attention in the last several years. Much of that attention focuses on the more complex side of the vaping experience, where more experienced users rely on the best electronic cigarette brands or advanced refillable electronic cigarettes – often going so far as to customize their builds to further enhance their enjoyment. Disposable electronic cigarettes often fail to receive the same kind of attention, but they nevertheless continue to play a vital role in the vaping world.
What is a Disposable Electronic Cigarette?
The disposable e-cig has been around for roughly a decade, with some of the first models manufactured in China around 2003 at the apex of the drive for universal smoking cessation. Many of these devices made their way to the United States, where they found an eager audience of Americans willing to try them as a way to end their dependence on tobacco products. Over the course of the next ten years, this fledgling market grew to the point where it now supports an industry that generates more than $1.7 billion in revenue annually.
The disposable e-cigarette is noteworthy for its simple design, and ease of use. They are typically designed to closely resemble traditional tobacco cigarettes, and can come in a variety of colors. White and black are the most commonly seen varieties, of course. The product itself can come in two basic forms: the singular unit that is thrown away when it runs out of puffs, and the rechargeable variety. The former is readily understood: it is ready to use right out of the package, and is then discarded when its supply of liquid is depleted. The latter is slightly more complex.
Rechargeable e-cigs contain two parts: the battery and the cartridge. The batteries on these devices typically plug into USB recharging units that transfer power via wall socket or your computer. Of course, there is only part of this device that is truly disposable: the cartridge. Cartridges for most disposables are sealed units that are useful for only so many puffs, after which they are depleted and ready for disposal in the trash or a recycling outlet. Cartridges come in various flavor and strength options, depending upon the manufacturer.
Is There an Advantage to Using Disposables?
There are many advantages to choosing disposable electronic cigarettes, particularly for those new to the vaping experience:
- Perhaps the greatest advantage to using disposable e-cigs is their wide availability. Most gas stations carry them these days, as do many tobaccos stores and other locations that sell cigarettes and other tobacco offerings. That makes them convenient and easy to acquire for vaping enthusiasts.
- They are easy to use. Both the rechargeable and non-rechargeable varieties are exceedingly simple for beginners, as they can be used right out of the package. There is virtually no learning curve involved at all.
- That lack of a learning curve is an inviting feature for smokers who are viewing these devices as potential cessation options. Because they are so easy to use, many smokers are more apt to buy a disposable e-cig to see whether it might work for their needs and help them quit their tobacco habit.
- Disposable e-cigs are cheaper than the more complex electronic cigarette devices. Even the rechargeable e-cigs with disposable cartridges are often less expensive than more advanced atomizer units. Of course, the simplest devices are the cheapest, often costing as little as $5 each. At that price, the transition from tobacco to vaping is about as low-cost as it can be.
Disadvantages of Disposable E-Cigs
Of course, it’s not all roses either. Disposable electronic cigarettes do have some disadvantages when compared to more advanced vaping devices:
- As with many low-cost products, the quality of a disposable e-cig cannot compare with more expensive atomizer devices. They tend to provide much less vapor, and a much lower amount of quality flavor.
- These throwaway devices are much less flexible as well. They offer a limited variety of flavor options, cannot be customized to improve performance, and can only be used in one way.
Still, these devices definitely have found a place in the heart of millions of vapers, and will no doubt continue to serve as a fantastic option for both beginning and more experienced vaping enthusiasts in the future. Their advantages far outweigh any weaknesses, and they are an ideal entry point for anyone who seeks to switch from tobacco to vaping.